Re: perl_5.8.2

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 04:53:29PM -0800, Jeff Bailey wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 11:21:56PM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
>
> > > My upload policy is not to break ftp.debian.org for those who just
> > > have ftp.debian.org in their sources.list.
>
> > Uhm.. I'm not sure if supporting those who just have ftp.debian.org in
> > their sources.list is really worth of it.
>
> It ultimately has to be our goal - until we get the packages flowing
> entirely into the Debian archive without any outside archives, we can't
> consider participating in testing and such.

That's right, but we're really far from that. At this point we can't even
keep base in fit.

In the current situation every new upstream release (see perl 5.8) or debian
maintainer packaging decision (see coreutils using libacl) has considerable
chances to gratuitously break for GNU/non-Linux systems. Maintaining sanity
in base doesn't sound affordable untill we fix that.

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)