Re: F.A.O. Patrick Strasser

Mark Wilkinson wrote:

a) Putting it all in the same place (an as yet undecided website/web presence)

Wiki should be a good way to start. Later we have probably switch to some other way like CVS. But this has time.

b) Formatting it all to make it look a bit nicer for the newbie to Hurd, and making it available in .pdf format so that it can be downloaded in a format that will definitely print nicely, and potentially be used for training/education purposes, such as on undergraduate systems design/software engineering courses.

I completely agree. Newbies like it looking nice.

I think texinfo is the system of choice:
*) Its GNU
*) It produces nice and ASAICS fully linked PDF
*) moreover you get info, HTML and others, you can read on shell and in small heaps

My starting point for a 'how to' on how to read the Hurd code has been a message from Farid Hajji http://lists.debian.org/debian-hurd/2000/debian-hurd-200012/msg00149.html

I believed that this plus the link you gave to a Hurd sourcecode cross-reference was a good starting point for people who were diving in for the first time, but if you feel you could contribute or add anything to the above, then please let me know.

My idea is to have a guidebook besides the sourcecode to read code and undersatnd what you are reading. This should include information about basic concepts and used abstractions (like what Marcus told about how to look at ports). It should provide entrypoints from where people are able to extend knowledge. This also means back-referneces to things one should already know.

Patrick
Patrick Strasser <pstrasser at sbox dot tugraz dot at>