F.A.O. Patrick Strasser

Patrick,

I'm sorry for sending this mail in a 'public' fashion, but I appear to be blocked from sending you mail directly. When trying to figure out why I was taken to a web page that gave information on the 'SORBS' system. It appears that my IP address has been used for 'sending unsolicited mail'. As the IP address displayed for me is one dynamically allocated by my ISP, and I have no control over who has had it previously (or who will have it in the future) I'm a bit stymied as to how to contact you directly. Anyway, my original reply to your message is below:

Patrick Strasser wrote:

So you are writing a sourcecode guidebook? Is there anything I can help you? I could for example try to read some code (which is important to understand the Hurd) and see which difficulties arise.

Patrick

Well, I'm not familiar with Hurd at all really, but after following the debian-hurd list for some time and jumping in with a couple of suggestions re: making things easier for newcomers, I've tentatively suggested taking on the role of collecting information that others have written and:

a) Putting it all in the same place (an as yet undecided website/web presence)

b) Formatting it all to make it look a bit nicer for the newbie to Hurd, and making it available in .pdf format so that it can be downloaded in a format that will definitely print nicely, and potentially be used for training/education purposes, such as on undergraduate systems design/software engineering courses.

I hope this meets with your approval, as I could really use all the help I can get!

My starting point for a 'how to' on how to read the Hurd code has been a message from Farid Hajji http://lists.debian.org/debian-hurd/2000/debian-hurd-200012/msg00149.html

I believed that this plus the link you gave to a Hurd sourcecode cross-reference was a good starting point for people who were diving in for the first time, but if you feel you could contribute or add anything to the above, then please let me know.

Thanks for your response,

Mark