Re: Hurd advocacy?

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 01:13:55AM +0200, Farid Hajji wrote:

> > BSD-style licensed software is still free software (untill it's hoarded
> > and becomes propietary, of course), which is the point of it. The fact
> > that the parents of the free software movement have the GPL as their
> > license of choice doesn't mean that only GPLed software is free.
>
> Sorry, I don't agree here. BSD-style licenses grant users _and_
> developers alike freedom to use the source as they see fit. This
> qualifies BSD-licensed software as "free software", but not as "Free
> Software". The latter term has the precise meaning of: "[L]GPLed
> software".

I don't see why capitalisation should make a difference, but if you're
referring to the FSF definition of free software it doesn't say anything
about being GPLed, other than GPL is a free software license.

> I'm sure that a lot of people in the FSF/GNU culture would vehemently
> protest if Diomidis (who, being a hacker, knows very well the difference)
> used "Free Software" in his title, but examples from BSD-licensed
> software in his book.

The FSF/GNU culture doesn't make a difference in the capitalisation of
"free". It just makes a difference between free as in freedom or free as
in beer.

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)