Re: K5 images

Hi!

Phil, could you provide an additional "miniinst" image with the minimaly
required packages for installation in your K5 set?

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 09:43:00AM +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 08:45:03PM +1300, Philip Charles wrote:
> > I had hoped that the alpha.gnu.org packages could have been authenticated
> > and/or replaced, but this has not happened.  So the K5 images will contain
> > the packages that were in alpha.gnu.org.
>
> Please don't use those packages, Robert Millan has been rebuilding some
> packages, signing and uploading them to ftp.gnuab.org, I don't know if
> there are packages from alpha missing in gnuab, Robert knows more about
> this. The signed .changes can be found in the pool.

There's xfree86, all of base (to fulfill crosshurd's dependencies) and a few
more. If there was something in alpha which is missing in gnuab, it's most
likely an old build which has been fixed in Debian, and in any case not a
very relevant package. Also alpha packages are unsigned unlike gnuab ones,
which gives us less reliability (crack incident, etc).

We're trying to push gnuab forward as the new unofficial repository, so if
there are missing packages in gnuab I think efforts should be directed at
uploading them rather than authenticating the old versions in alpha.

> > 3.  Who would be prepared to host the images?
>
> As stated before I can host them on ftp.gnuab.org, if there is no
> problem with this.

As for the miniinst image, I think it's small enough to be put in gluck too.

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)