Re: My Experiences installing the Hurd

kbk@shore.net (Kurt B. Kaiser) writes:

> > I wouldn't anticipate that... On L4, it will still be multithreaded
> > servers sending messages to eachother, and probably about as hard to
> > debug. The L4 port addresses other things.
>
> True, but wouldn't you expect that since the code is smaller that there
> would be less to debug?

L4 is smaller than Mach, but the Hurd servers are about the same. (The
set of Hurd libraries and servers will be somewhat different on L4, as
they have to implement features that are in the Mach kernel but not in
L4).

> My understanding of the reasons for the Hurd/L4 port, in order of
> importance:
>
> 1. It's faster
> 2. It's maintained
> 3. It's smaller

Something like that. Perhaps you should also add that L4 is more
modern and seems more interesting than Mach.

/Niels