Re: x-window-system

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 11:15:13AM +0200, Johannes Rohr wrote:
> But it is still lacking stability. I have experienced several freezes
> of the console server. (I could still telnet to my box.) Another
> annoyance is that, once you have run 'console -d vga -d pc_kbd -d
> generic_speaker /dev/vcs', you cannot exit console without
> rebooting. Just killing the program freezes the screen.

I assure that this is not behaviour I see when using it.  So there are two
possibilities.  Either you found a bug or two in the console code.  Then I
would appreciate more information on these.  Or you have other problems in
your system.  Then more information is needed as well.

I don't use the Hurd frequently these days, but I had never the console
freeze.  So what are you doing that I didn't?  If you could telnet to your
box, what was the state of the processes?  What did gdb attached to the
processes involved tell you?

I don't know what "killing the program" means.  If you mean "kill" then yes,
this will leave your screen in a desolate state until we catch SIGTERM with
marcos patch.  However, if you press CTRL+ALT+Backspace, the console client
should terminate itself and correctly clean up behind itself.

Unless we need Marcos patch to get the right thread killing the console.  It
did work for me in the past, though.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/