Re: Bug #103204/dpkg-shlibdeps and /X11R6/lib

Hi,

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 09:41:50PM +0200, Johannes Rohr wrote:
> I wonder if anyone has ever bothered to fix the fix for Bug #103204
> (dpkg-shlibdeps mostly useless on the Hurd). The fix attached to the
> bug report changes the behaviour of dpkg-shlibdeps so that it
> correctly identifies the packages which own certain libs even though
> on GNU/Hurd they are located in /lib instead of /usr/lib where dpkg
> believes them to be.

> Now, as also reported in a comment to #103204, the patch works only
> for /usr/lib -> /lib, but it doesn't help for libraries that are
> stored in /X11R6/lib.

Uhm, I think I was confused a bit when I wrote that comment. I tried
that on a Linux machine chroot with a /usr->/ symlink. I've no problems
running dpkg-shlibdeps with this patch (and LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/X11R6/lib
set) on Debian GNU/Hurd.

> Now, I guess that fixing the patch should be trivial, but as a perl
> illiterate, I cannot help with it.

One of the dpkg-maintainers said, he'll "work on a more general and
robust fix [for dpkg2 I think]". Of course, that can takes months to
years.

Anyway, I've heard the next glibc version (2.3.2) will fix this problem,
so it's not much to worry about at the moment.

Michael