Re: OT: Palladium (Was Re: eric raymond)

> > We're quickly getting off topic here, but I'm not so worried about the
> > technological side of TCPA/Palladium. I think computers without that
> > sort of control will be available for the foreseeable future (like
> > region free DVD-players exist, at least in Sweden you can buy them in
> > ordinary 100%-mainstream shops). You might not be able to run M$ W*rd
> > on a TCPA-free computer, but I wouldn't do that anyway.

Be prepared to pay a surcharge for palladium free computers.
Economics of scale would effectively prevent most vendors
offering TCPA-free computers (or computers where you can
turn TCPA features off) from being competitive, at least
in the long run. I wouldn't be too optimistic here :-(

> I am not worried long term.  If a law is unenforcible it will quickly
> become a dead letter, this is certainly true of the Westminster (English
> speaking) legal system.

Even if such silly laws were enforced, it could benefit FSF
and other advocates of Free Software: The harder the repression
laws, the more people are being bitten by them, and the higher
the protest potential. Actually, such laws would be FSF's best
advocate, since they will help raising consciousness amoung
people who are now still indifferent to our beliefs and goals.

Perhaps, people need to loose all freedom before they become
aware of the situation and rebel against it. But when they do,
we'll be there with good ammo^Walternatives :).

> Free Software is transnational and it only needs one legal jurisdiction
> not to insist on TCPA and it legal support for TCPA to be ineffective.
> The multi-nationals are getting some of their own back ;) ;) ;)

Right!

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Management.
http://www.farid-hajji.net/address.html