Re: x-window-system

elf@land5.nsu.ru (Dmitry V. Zhulanov) writes:

> Hello all!
>
> I tryin to install x-window-system but dependensy show me next:
> x-window-system depends x-window-system-core, but this package not
> exist on debian archive. Where I can get requed packages to install
> X Window to my hurd system.

You probably have to resort to snapshot.debian.net. The last complete
version of X for GNU/Hurd in the Debian archives was AFAIK 4.1.0-14.

You will probably find it when you dig through the archives for Oct
2002 or so.

But beware: Using X on GNU/Hurd is not (yet) fun. It is far from
stable. I have experienced many random freezes. You cannot run an
xterm as non-root (unless you symlink all libs from /X11R6/lib to
/lib). Emacs freezes at startup, unless you start it in console mode
(-nw). You cannot switch between Console and X. Many of the X apps
that I've tried out so far, fail under X: xpdf, xdvi, dillo (currently
the only available graphical browser)...

So currently, X on GNU/Hurd is only for the daring.

I recently read here on the list that someone was working on XFree
4.3. So maybe you should delay your plans a bit.

Johannes

--
~/.signature under construction