Re: eric raymond

On Sat, 17 May 2003, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:

> Just because one doesn't agree with someones views doesn't mean that
> one should ignore the person if he/she does say something that is of
> interest.

I would describe Eric Raymond as an empiricalist rather than an idealist.
He describes what happens rather than what others would like to happen. He
also gives credible reasons for why they happen in our (western?) society.

A number of my associates make their living from free software and I
understand why they prefer 'open source' to 'free software', it has a more
professional ring about it, and it gives their clients and customers some
indication of how they go about their business.

For myself, I consider that software should be a community/global resource
not owned by individuals or organisations in much the same way as spoken
languages are.  However, for good or ill, authors, actors, broadcasters
and the like make their living from these free languages.

I also agree with Richard Stallman, free software must remain free
software. Otherwise software owners will end up with the power to exploit,
control and manipulate all of us.  Another group of my associates are
enthusiastic and competent amateurs, these keep the professionals honest
and ensure that their software remains free.

/rant

Phil.

     I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz