Re: Network problem

> "settrans -fgap -i /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet -i eth0 -a 10.3.0.1 -g
> 10.0.0.1 -m 255.255.0.0"

IIRC the settrans command doesn't have an argument -i (The first -i, pfinet has
a -i argument).

> it gives an error message like this
>
> "/hurd/pfinet: eth0: (os/device) no such device
> settrans: /hurd/pfinet: Translator died"
>
> iam using winbond-840 card.
>
> My system is a dual boot with Redhat Linux 8.0/Hurd
>
> In Redhat Linux 8 everything works fine and the dmesg under redhat linux
> gives the following
> output
>
> divert: allocating divert_blk for eth0
> eth0: Compex RL100-ATX at 0xc689b000, 00:80:48:d7:b9:b6, IRQ 10.
> eth0: MII PHY 01807731h found at address 1, status 0x7869 advertising
> 01e1.

I can't find this NIC in the list of supported hardware for gnumach 1.3 (the
version you are using). This list can be found in i386/README-Drivers in the
gnumach-1.3.tar.gz tarball that can be downloaded from hurd.gnu.org.

An alternative is using OSKIT-Mach. It uses OSKIT for drivers and many linux
2.4 drivers are included with OSKIT. An updated OSKIT (with more drivers than
the OSKIT in debian) can be found on savannah.gnu.org. After installing OSKIT
you can build OSKIT-Mach, which can be downloaded from hurd.gnu.org (it is also
known as gnumach 1.9). The default console on OSKIt-Mach sucks, but there is an
alternative in the Hurd, just search in the mailinglist archives of bug-hurd
how to use this console.

Hopefully OSKIT-Mach will be in Debian soon :)

Thanks,
Marco