Re: How to debug translators?

Ludovic Courtès <ludovic.courtes@laas.fr> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 12:09:10PM +0200, Johannes Rohr wrote:
> > since my box has network access now, I was very curious to try out the
> > Hurd's famous translators. But both the nfs and the ftpfs translator
> > do not seem to work. Do I assume correctly that for nfs, all I have to
> > do is
> >
> > settrans /some/place /hurd/nfs host:/someexport ?
>
> The above line changes the passive translator settings for the
> "/some/place" node.  In other words, it does not actually start the
> translator until you access the node.
>
> For debugging purposes, you should use "settrans -a" which makes the
> translator active; adding "-P" will make settrans wait until you press a
> key.  This way, you have enough time to get the PID of the translator,
> run "gdb /hurd/nfs <PID>", and press a key in order to start the
> translator.

Been there, done that. Still, '-P' doesn't seem to work for me as
advertised. The translator dies immediately.

What really surprises me is that the ftp translator dies
_momentarily_, as if it even wouldn't bother to contact the server.

At the same time I've seen that I can ftp with it to a neighbouring
box (while any attempts to set up an ftp translator for any server out
in the Internet fail with 100 % reproducibility.

I wonder if there is any way to intercept the communication between
the ftp translator and the server...

Thanks,

Johannes

--