How to debug translators?

Hello,

since my box has network access now, I was very curious to try out the
Hurd's famous translators. But both the nfs and the ftpfs translator
do not seem to work. Do I assume correctly that for nfs, all I have to
do is

settrans /some/place /hurd/nfs host:/someexport ?

I've tried this a number of times with a nfs-exported directory that I
had mounted before without any problem while running GNU/Linux. But
all I get is '/some/place: translator died'

The same goes for the ftpfs translator.

settrans /debian /hurd/ftpfs ftp.de.debian.org:/

should be enough, not? Again, I only see 'translator died'.

How can I gather further info? I read about attaching gdb to a
translator. But how can I do this if the translator dies immediately?

Second: I should probably recompile the Hurd with debugging
symbols. But apt-get build-dep hurd && apt-get source -b hurd
fails. If anyone would like to look at this, I can post the exact
errors.

Thanks,

Johannes
--