[OT] Programming - Where to start (Pretty Long)

Hello,

Now I know many of you are uber-hackers so no laughing, and if some of you are on the debian-users mailing list, you may have already seen/heard this message, so delete now! :-)

I am basically a hardware and network infrastructure guy who has been intrigued by programming for a LONG, LONG, time.  I have done some programming in VB, VBScript, JavaScript, COBOL, BASIC, a little C, hell even RPG on the AS/400.  I have also been playing a little with Python recently.  Actually writing Active Server Pages (Yeah, I know!!) is part of my job now.

Anyway, part of my problem is, I am much more function over form.  I don't like making pretty web-based interfaces.  I like the database stuff, etc.  I really want to delve down into systems/kernel/driver/translator type of stuff.

I am reading "The Art of Computer Programming" as was suggested by many on the debian-user list and a few suggested that I check out the Hurd.  I actually already had it installed and thought it might be a good place to delve into some things and learn about OS design and such.  I also saw the project on Savannah about rpctrace and started looking at the code but it gets over my head relatively quickly.  I have also read the Hurd Hacking Guide.

So, to make a short story, long...  Do any of you gurus have any words of wisdom for a good place to start?

Thanks!!

Barry deFreese
Debian 3.0r1 "Woody"
Debian Testing "Sarge"
Registered Linux "Newbie" #302256 - Debian Developer Wannabe