Re: Init scripts (was Re: Debootstrap on GNU/Hurd Status)

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 04:35:39PM +0200, Sam Zoghaib wrote:

> On Wednesday 16 April 2003 15:41, David Gardner wrote:
> > >     Everybody wants a better init system than System V!  I
>
> > http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/rgooch/linux/boot-scripts/ ?
>
> What's so wrong about SystemV init? I've read Richard Gooch's arguments, and
> as far as System V init is concerned, his strongest argument is its
> complexity. I can only speak for myself, but that's one of the first things
> I've learned when I installed my GNU/Linux system, and I didn't find it
> excessively difficult.
>
> Are there other disadvantages that justify not using SystemV init?

	Yes, the dependencies are implicit rather than explicit.  There
is no good way to say "I depend on a network connexion to start up."
You can only place your startup after S20 on a Debian system because
policy says you can.

	Having a dependency-based init system is very similar to having
a dependency-based package management system.  So all the advantages of
the latter can be used to justify the former.

Simon