Re: Debootstrap on GNU/Hurd Status

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 04:28:30PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> > Has anyone taken the time to figure out how this would fit into the
> > existing tar format?

> Okuji and me both thought a GNU extension that was stored similar like
> a long symlink was appropriate.  While packing tar files, you have to
> first check for a translator (where now tar checks for a symlink), and
> then it depends on configuration.  Either tar can traverse translator
> settings (mount points) and ignore them.  Or it can read and store
> them.  It must however recognize some special types like /hurd/symlink
> which represent symlinks and special devices, and store them as such
> if there is special support for them in the tar format.

Do you remember which list this took place on?  I'm sure all the
questions I have were answered in that discussion.

> > I'd like to see us use sysvinit for Debian.  I agree that the GNU
> > system will need a better init system, though.

> Well, I had it running, so it is certainly possible.  How you go about
> integrating such a port back into the Debian package is a mystery I
> was never able to solve.

I asked the Debian *BSD folks last week if they were planning on using
sysvinit, and I was told they had almost no problems getting the changes
they needed integrated upstream.  Perhaps there's been a change.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey

--
You said homosexuals form a small percentage of the population.  So
do Jews.  Is that a reason to deny someone equality?