Re: Debootstrap on GNU/Hurd Status

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 08:59:41AM +0200, Ilse Hirvonen wrote:

Hi Ilse, :)

> > [snip packages]
> > Could somebody with more in-depth knowledge than me go through the above
> > list and find out which packages we do not need and which package still
> > need porting?
>
> I did a new tarball semi-recently. The files included in it are listed
> in ftp://gnufans.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/joachim/FILES, if I get the time
> I'll try to take your debootstrap for a test drive.

The lists differ only a bit. I believe we should rather work from what
debootstrap currently mandates minus the linux-specific ones. These are
the packages we'll need to get done in order for the Hurd to be
installed 'the debian way'.

I've found a mail from marcus from about a year ago with a debootstrap
patch attached. Seems like he mostly got the same packages as I do. I've
added gnumach to $required (d'oh) in the meantime, as well as syslogd to
$base.

So I guess the list of packages is quite alright for the moment, we need
to push the packages from alpha to the debian mirrors now. I don't know
what is holding them up at alpha though and how to help in this regard.

On another matter: Adam Heath said on irc the other day that he'll
upload a new dpkg package in 'the next days'. I urged him to fix the
Hurd-bug, but as it grave now anyway, he won't have much choice I guess,
so this problem hopefully goes away RSN.

cheers,

Michael