Re: Debootstrap on GNU/Hurd Status

Michael Banck wrote:
> [snip interesting stuff]
> For the final log I've redirect MAKEDEV's output to /dev/null. Anyway,
> debootstrap normally just extracts devices.tar.gz, it would be nice if
> there was something like this for us, too. But what about the
> translators?

I've been thinking about this for a while. I too tried to port
debootstrap, so this is very good news for me!

Well, since we cannot make a tarfile of /dev perhaps a devfs translator
could be a neat idea? Has anyone ever considered that? I cannot believe
I'm the first one to come up with it on the Hurd ... so there must be
some major disadvantage of this that I fail to see.

> [snip packages]
> Could somebody with more in-depth knowledge than me go through the above
> list and find out which packages we do not need and which package still
> need porting?

I did a new tarball semi-recently. The files included in it are listed
in ftp://gnufans.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/joachim/FILES, if I get the time
I'll try to take your debootstrap for a test drive.

Regards
 /Joachim

--
Joachim Nilsson :: <joachim AT vmlinux DOT org>
+46(0)21-123348 :: <http://joachim.vmlinux.org>