Re: Fan mail about the Hurd...

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 11:49:54AM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 10:16:42AM -0800, Grant Bowman wrote:
> > * Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> [030204 07:02]:
> > > Two decades is nothing.  It's just barely enough to reinvent the wheel with
> > > bells and whistels on it, but it's not enough to make something new.
> >
> > Marcus,
> >
> > I respectfully disagree.  With additional dedicated coders and other
> > software development professionals I believe the Debian GNU/Hurd (the
> > whole OS) could be released in a relatively short time period with
> > usable features for even non-developers.  If project completion is in
> > fact a project priority I believe it could be achieved.
>
> Ok, you show me where the dedicated coders and other professionals are, and
> I wil do the rest.

And note that this would just be enough to release the current Mach based
version of the Hurd, which is nice as a proof of concept, but will never be
able to fulfill demands like performance and robustness because of
fundamental design issues.  To make an operating system that not only "runs
stuff", but also can be held into direct competition with other production
systems, more is needed, for example a distributed virtual memory system as
Neal proposed.  And that is really topnotch of operating system research,
and mostly untested in the real world, so we don't even know if that works
and what the problems will be with such designs.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/