Newbie help: Network hangs

Hi.
I have installed HURD from the "latest" tarball and have read the installation guide, however every time I go to ping a site on the net the system hangs. For instance: ping alpha.gnu.org, would return :PING alpha.gnu.org(199.232.41.11) 56 data bytes ,and just hang . I can however ping a machine on my LAN and get an approiate response. My /etc/resolve.conf is identical to the one I have on Debian that dual boots on the same machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.