Re: libexec in glibc

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 02:59:25PM -0400, Simon Law wrote:

> > Debian's glibc package currently defines $(prefix)/libexec to
> > $(prefix)/lib everywhere except on hurd-i386.  I would like to
> > correct this so that we're the same as other arch's.  (There
> > should be no libexec dirs on Debian, so comply with the FHS).

> > Any objections?

> 	I object.  The FHS is very GNU/Linux specific.  GNU/Linux has
> not used /libexec contrary to FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD; which
> have followed GNU's precident.  I say we ought to stick with
> /libexec until we decided to get close to release.  With any luck,
> by that time, the FHS will have been revised to include /libexec,
> /servers, etc.

The issues is that by Debian policy, all Debian ports must follow the
FHS.  The same is true of the FreeBSD and NetBSD ports (I only noticed
this because of the patch to support FreeBSD).

Certainly after */libexec is added into the FHS, we can add it back
in.  We would have to recompile a whole lot of Debian anyway, so doing
glibc on top of that shouldn't be a problem.

This is another sad case of FHS != GCS.  What I'm worried about
especially is technical considerations of this change.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey

--
learning from failures is nice in theory...
but in practice, it sucks :)