Re: H3 first reboot after install failed

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 12:46:54PM +0100, Diego Roversi wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 06:03:41PM +0100, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 05:45:04PM +0100, Martin Man wrote:
> > > yep and the system info, VMWare 3.0 workstation with IDE virtual disk
> >
> > We don't and will never support proprietary software...
>
> I don't think that is a vmware problem, because I can boot a "nativaly"
> installed hurd from vmware without problems. But I got the same problem when
> some month ago, I've tried to copy my Hurd partition on a new hd. Probably
> something goes wrong during the installation...

  None of the fileutils or tar support translators yet.  If you copied
an installed GNU/Hurd system to a new drive, you'll need to run
/native-install, re-create any devices not made by native-install, and
re-set any other translators on the system.  This might be the cause
of your problems.

  Perhaps a direct copy (e.g., dd) will preserve translator settings;
I haven't tried it.

Hope that helps
Richard
kreuter at ausar.rutgers.edu