Re: mkfs and fsck in /sbin

On Sat, 2002-11-09 at 19:09, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

> > My point was that if we can reasonably show that on a GNU/Hurd system
> > that most (say 90-95%?) of the commands in sbin would be reasonable for
> > a power user to use there is probably value in just having that in the
> > general users path.

> You seem to be assuming that the Hurd developers in general think
> there should be no /sbin, and that we should all work together to find
> a way to get rid of it.

There is no such assumption.  I am not empowered to speak for anyone but
myself.

In fact, I think I presented clearly that *I* thought that there might
be value in eliminating sbin iff it could be shown that a very high
percentage of the utilities were useful to a competent user.

I might also note that in the past I have disagreed with the way we
handle /usr too (and am still looking forward to shadowfs so that I can
mount a common usr parition across all of my Hurd boxes) - So I
certainly don't seem to share a philosophy of system administration with
the Hurd developers.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey

--