Re: libdb4 package

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 11:25:44PM -0500, Steven Curtis wrote:
> I have a question regarding the absence of a libdb4 package for Debian
> GNU/Hurd.  There are several packages that rely directly or indirectly on
> the existence of libdb4.  I downloaded the source, and it compiled cleanly.

You already got a bunch of answers, all of them correct.  I just want to
make a general statement about this:  If a binary package is not in Debian
GNU/Hurd, but it should be, then there are several reasons why this could
be:

* Nobody ever tried to build it!  This is usually because of complex build
  dependencies, or recent additions.
* It does not build because of bugs in the upstream source.  This is what
  you found out _not_ to be the case for db4.
* It does not build because of bugs in the Debian packaging.  This could be:
  + Patches that are applied to the upstream source that make it fail.
  + debian/* files that don't work correctly on the Hurd.
  + debian/control contains improper architecture or build dependency
    information.
* The package existed before, but then vanished.  Sometimes files are
  removed from the Debian archive, in many cases I don't know why.  I think
  some are deleted to fix a certain problem in the unstable distribution (like
  a complex upgrade situation).

Bottom line:  Always try the Debian source to investigate Debian GNU/Hurd
issues.  Use apt-get source and dpkg-buildpackage (or apt-get source with -b).

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/