Debian Installer

It's not obvious to me whether we want to try to release with Sarge or
not, but a pretty critical step in there would be to help bend the new
installer to our needs.  Is anyone interested in taking this on?  I
don't know how this would relate to any of the work that Philip's done
with the CDs (I'm a little out of touch with that).

(For the anal sort of DD's out there, I got permission before
redistributing this)

----- Forwarded message from Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@debian.org> -----

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2002/debian-devel-announce-200207/msg00013.html :

: So, to round this up, the current issue list is:
: - unbreak cdebconf
: - partitioner
: - multiple arch support
:
: Comments, help and code is, as always, welcome.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2002/debian-devel-announce-200208/msg00004.html

: Multiple arch support has begun, Colin Walters is looking into
: getting it to work on PowerPC, Wartan Hachaturow is trying to get it
: to work on alpha.
:
[..]
: As always, comments and thoughts appreciated.

That leaves a whopping eight arches which nobody has taken care of
yet.  (BenC has said he'll do the SPARC, that leaves seven arches:
mips, mipsel, hppa, arm, s390, m68k, ia64.)  This leaves out
Debian/*BSD and the Hurd, if they are to release with Sarge.

It's not rocket science to figure out that we might need an installer
for the missing arches and getting in touch with me if you want to
help out.

--
learning from failures is nice in theory...
but in practice, it sucks :)