apt-get install emacs21 hangs machine

I am new to playing with Hurd, so please forgive my stupidities.  I
recently installed the hurd-H4-CD1.iso on a PII-400 box with 64 meg of
RAM.  When I try to 'apt-get install emacs21' things start out okay
but then when installing .el files the box freezes.  I apologize, I am
off-site now and don't have the precise message in front of me.  Is
this a known problem?  Suggestions?  Thanks!

--
Russell Senior         ``The two chiefs turned to each other.
seniorr@aracnet.com      Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible