Re: Hurd versions (G1..H4)

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Catalin wrote:

> Hello,
> I want to try Debian with the Hurd kernel for the first time and I have
> 3 questions:
> 1) Which is the newest version: G1,H1,H2,H3 or H4? And what are the
> diferences betwen these versions (especialy betwen the G and H).

G & H stand for the version of boot-floppies used for the installation.
1 - 4 is the number of the snapshot.  H4 uses the same boot-floppies as
H3, but is more modern.  There was a major change in the Hurd between H3
and H4, so do not use anything other than H4.

> 2) Do you know an aproximate date when a new version will be released?
> (I have a very slow internet connection and I prefer to wait 1 or 2
> weeks for a newer version than to download one right now).

When I have solved some tricky problems.  Say four weeks, DV.

> 3) I have Debian linux 3.0 r0 already installed, can I convert it to
> Hurd (and how?) or it's better (and easyer) to use the hurd cd's? What
> is the difference betwen Debian linux and Debian hurd except the
> kernel?(can I install a *.deb package from a debian linux cd to a debian
> hurd system?)

Agggg.  The Hurd is a different operating system and is not the same as
Linux.  Let us say that GNU/Linux is the cousin of GNU/Hurd.  The *BSD's
are the brothers and sisters of GNU/Linux.

Have fun with the Hurd.

Phil.

     I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz