Kernel video driver (was: Boot problem @ /hurd/ext2fs.static)

Hi Marcus,

Sunday, June 16, 2002, 6:14:30 PM, you wrote:

>> kernel          /boot/gnumach.gz root=hd0s2

>> -T typed ${root}

MB> Shouldn't this be "root=device:hd0s@" because of the "typed"?

This works, great! Hm, just looked at the installation guide and it
also says device:hd0sx... Don't know why I got it wrong. :/

Now that everything is working great so far, what could I do?
What is the latest on something like a framebuffer device? I mean
something like a translator that applications can talk to instead of accessing the
hardware directly. Like /dev/fb in Linux. Or is it too early to think
about something like that? I would like to do a little research on
this to get some experience. So far I only got the basic idea though.
:> The idea seems to be to use memory mapping and a translator so
applications can just write to this translator to access the video
memory. The kernel would than directly talk to the
hardware, for example through a VESA driver. Is that correct?

--
Best regards,
 Daniel

- visit:  http://www.liebesgedichte.net