Re: Notes on gnu-latest and Debian GNU/Hurd

--- Kapil Hari Paranjape <kapil@imsc.ernet.in> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Some more notes from the new installation.
>
> 1. It was essential to get ssh working. Based on a non-trivial
>    hunt in this mailing list I found that Marcus has a "random"
>    translator. Unfortunately, the compiled one is for the older
>    hurd. Also, contrary to earlier mails there is no "announcement" of
>    this that explains how it is to be compiled! So I did the following
>    entirely hacker-ish thing:
>
>    a. copied the file /usr/include/hurd/startup_notify.defs file
>       into the source directory for random.
>
>    b. Gave it a new subsystem number.
>
>    c. Made a minor (?) edit to change the startup_dosync call to
>       S_startup_dosync (which happened to be the name of the
>       routine in random.c)
>
>    After this the stuff compiled and the following seemed to work:
> 	settrans -c /dev/random /usr/local/hurd/random -s \
> 		  --seed-file=/etc/ranseed
> 	settrans -c /dev/urandom /usr/local/hurd/random -s \
> 		  --seed-file=/etc/uranseed
> 	cat random.tar.gz > /dev/random
> 	cat random.tar.gz > /dev/urandom
>    (Not the best entropy in the world I know!)
>
>    After this "slogin" and friends did not complain.
>
>    However, this is entirely a hack---so I would welcome pointers
>    on how to improve on this. For example, I could not figure out
>    from the mailing lists any way of feeding this random device
>    entropy out of "egd" except to read data periodically from
>    egd's socket and push it into /dev/{,u}random---I could not figure
>    a neat way to do this either. (I read about libchannel but that
>    is beyond my current luser status). Also the seed files are
>    unused.

 Congradulations, you may be the first person to build the random translator
outside the Hurd source.  Building the random translator with the rest of the
Hurd source is trivial, and that is why it isn't mentioned on the mailing
lists.

> 2. The "mutt" mailer suggests the "gnutls3" package. But when the latter
>    was installed the "imap" connection was stuck for ever.
>
> 3. The "man" program often hangs. Perhaps this is GNU's way
>    of making sure that we use "info" instead ;-)
>
> 4. I also built an oskit-mach kernel
>    ("kernel-ide+ethernet_eepro100" in Roland's notation).
>    The "oskit-mach" kernel also booted the hurd but:
>
> 	a. Only with the old method of booting using
> 		module /boot/serverboot.gz

 Humm, it seems you didn't read the mailing lists close enough.
Add '--' to the end of the kernel line in grub.

> 	   Even converting the kernel using mkmbimage

 Is this a linuxism?

> 	   did not work with the new multimodular boot.
>
> 	b. The TERM device is to be set to "adm3a" after
> 	   which the console is kind of usable.

 oskit-mach does not have a console built into it. I have my console set to
dumb.  See Marcus' console translator for how to get a console on oskit-mach.
BTW Marcus' console translator is not done yet.

>    Still, currently gnumach-1.3.gz wins out on usability.
>
> 5. Since "i810" and "agpgart" are still far away one is restricted
>    to text-mode without X. This is probably a blessing in disguise.
>    "screen" (or emacs21 and "eshell") are our friends here.

 Screen Rulz.

> Thanks and regards,
>
> Kapil.

=====
James Morrison
   University of Waterloo
   Computer Science - Digital Hardware
   2A co-op
http://hurd.dyndns.org

Anyone referring to this as 'Open Source' shall be eaten by a GNU