Re: Notes on gnu-latest and Debian GNU/Hurd

* James Morrison <rocketmail_com@rocketmail.com> [020606 09:09]:
> --- Kapil Hari Paranjape <kapil@imsc.ernet.in> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Some more notes from the new installation.
> >
> > 1. It was essential to get ssh working. Based on a non-trivial
> >    hunt in this mailing list I found that Marcus has a "random"
> >    translator. Unfortunately, the compiled one is for the older
> >    hurd. Also, contrary to earlier mails there is no "announcement" of
> >    this that explains how it is to be compiled! So I did the following
> >    entirely hacker-ish thing:
> >
> >    a. copied the file /usr/include/hurd/startup_notify.defs file
> >       into the source directory for random.
> >
> >    b. Gave it a new subsystem number.
> >
> >    c. Made a minor (?) edit to change the startup_dosync call to
> >       S_startup_dosync (which happened to be the name of the
> >       routine in random.c)
> >
> >    After this the stuff compiled and the following seemed to work:
> > 	settrans -c /dev/random /usr/local/hurd/random -s \
> > 		  --seed-file=/etc/ranseed
> > 	settrans -c /dev/urandom /usr/local/hurd/random -s \
> > 		  --seed-file=/etc/uranseed
> > 	cat random.tar.gz > /dev/random
> > 	cat random.tar.gz > /dev/urandom
> >    (Not the best entropy in the world I know!)
> >
> >    After this "slogin" and friends did not complain.
> >
> >    However, this is entirely a hack---so I would welcome pointers
> >    on how to improve on this. For example, I could not figure out
> >    from the mailing lists any way of feeding this random device
> >    entropy out of "egd" except to read data periodically from
> >    egd's socket and push it into /dev/{,u}random---I could not figure
> >    a neat way to do this either. (I read about libchannel but that
> >    is beyond my current luser status). Also the seed files are
> >    unused.
>
>  Congradulations, you may be the first person to build the random translator
> outside the Hurd source.  Building the random translator with the rest of the
> Hurd source is trivial, and that is why it isn't mentioned on the mailing
> lists.

Good work.

> > 2. The "mutt" mailer suggests the "gnutls3" package. But when the latter
> >    was installed the "imap" connection was stuck for ever.

Interesting.

> > 3. The "man" program often hangs. Perhaps this is GNU's way
> >    of making sure that we use "info" instead ;-)

I was thinking the same thing.

> > 4. I also built an oskit-mach kernel
> >    ("kernel-ide+ethernet_eepro100" in Roland's notation).
> >    The "oskit-mach" kernel also booted the hurd but:
> >
> > 	a. Only with the old method of booting using
> > 		module /boot/serverboot.gz
>
>  Humm, it seems you didn't read the mailing lists close enough.
> Add '--' to the end of the kernel line in grub.

I think he has amply demonstrated he's done his homework pretty well.

> > 	   Even converting the kernel using mkmbimage
>
>  Is this a linuxism?
>
> > 	   did not work with the new multimodular boot.
> >
> > 	b. The TERM device is to be set to "adm3a" after
> > 	   which the console is kind of usable.
>
>  oskit-mach does not have a console built into it. I have my console set to
> dumb.  See Marcus' console translator for how to get a console on oskit-mach.
> BTW Marcus' console translator is not done yet.

Marcus did recently send email to another list bug-hurd@gnu.org about
the code he's checked in.  This new console is one of the last 'hurdles'
before moving to oskit-mach.  Marcus is doing great work with this but
it needs help with debugging and such.

> >    Still, currently gnumach-1.3.gz wins out on usability.
> >
> > 5. Since "i810" and "agpgart" are still far away one is restricted
> >    to text-mode without X. This is probably a blessing in disguise.
> >    "screen" (or emacs21 and "eshell") are our friends here.
>
>  Screen Rulz.

I agree, I use screen now while using Debian GNU/Linux too.

--
-- Grant Bowman                                <grantbow@grantbow.com>