Re: Newbie feedback

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 08:36:35PM +0200, PUYDT Julien wrote:
> First problem: native-install freezes the computer; I had to reboot
> several times. I finally remade the partition, retried, and after
> several such attempts, finally succeeded (by accident?)
> Solution: I was told on the channel that it was a problem with the
> recent tarball, and it should disappear.

I know of no such problem and don't know how a new tar file could fix it.

> Second problem: the guide says "Remember to create any devices using
> the MAKEDEV command.". It is somewhat misleading; it should say
> "Remember no (or so few) devices exist, use the MAKEDEV command to
> create them" or something of the kind... I had to create /dev/hd0s1 for
> my swap, and was surprised to had to!
> Solution: Perhaps the first paragraph of 7.2 should be devoted to
> stress it more?

Yeah, the install script is quite primitive.  This will probably not be
fixed until someone starts to put serious work into porting the Debian
installer.

> Third problem: I had to edit /etc/apt/sources.list to point it to hurd
> locations.
> Solution: The default should point to the right locations!

Good point, it's basically the same here, although it would not be hard for
us to put it into the tar file.  The grand plan here is to port debootstrap.
(Which is actually quite easy).

> Fourth problem: apt-get update; apt-get -u dist-upgrade failed in
> debconf's configuration.
> Solution: apt-get install dialog solved it for me, a depend should be
> added.

Actually, the question is why it fails so badly and does not gracefully fall
back to a default that works (eg plain text mode).  dialog is optional.

> Fifth problem: root's .profile ends with "mesg n"; it worked after I
> had upgraded (and util-linux was installed), but was an unknown command
> before.
> Solution: add util-linux to the tarball, or do if [ -x /usr/bin/mesg ]
> ... in root's .profile.

Well, util-linux needs to be ported properly, or, to be more precise, what
is not Linux specific in there should be distributed across other packages.

> I hope that report will help.

Most of it are known little glitches, but it is good to be reminded of them!
Hopefully with enough nagging, someone will fix them eventually ;)

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de