Re: First try on Hurd-H4-CD1 jigdo files

On Tue, 28 May 2002, Patrick Strasser wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> Beeing bored yesterday I tried to create a jigdo file set for the first
> of the four Debian GNU/Hurd H4 snapshot CDs.
> That's what I did and the problems I had:

Cut

> Unfortunately the files worked only partly:
> 381 packages could not be found on the mirrors. They seem to me some
> special packages not official distributed by Debian. I don't know if
> this files are not existant any more or if I could get them from some
> other special server like alpha.gnu.org. I tried alpha, but the
> directory structure did not match and I had no time to investigate this
> yet. Has anyone an idea how to get around this problem? Phil, where do
> you get your packages from?

The extra H4 files came from alpha.gnu.org/../debian-libio, future sets
will be using alpha.gnu.org/../debian.  This illustrates the problem of
producing kits like jigdo for the Hurd, the Hurd is a rapidly moving
target.

> Until now, the jigdo files are quite useless, as this 381 files are
> missing.
> I think it would be a great benefit to get this distribution system
> working. E.g. for me downloading from my university is of course much
> faster and produces not muich external traffic, so I make the network
> admins less unhappy :-)

Attila, Andrew and myself are very aware of this problem.  The best we
will probably be able to come up with is some form of partial image that
can be completed with rsync.

1.  There is likely to be differences in the packages present in the
Debian archive from the time the images are built and when people want to
produce the images.

2.  A new baseHurd is produced for each set (H4 was an exception).  This
also means that the corresponding floppies are also new.

3.  The rest of the disks-hurd-i386 only have a passing resemblance to any
other Debian set.  However, they may last a few months.

If anyone could come up with a suitable scheme, we would love it.

Phil.

     I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz