Re: alpha.gnu.org/../debian

* Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> [020526 10:40]:
> On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 10:27:15AM -0700, Grant Bowman wrote:
> > I believe it was a mistake > to move the latest usable version from
> > ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus/gnu-latest.tar.gz to
> > debian-staging or debian-libio since anyone new to the project was
> > immediately and unnecessarily confused.
>
> Nothing of this kind was done.  I uploaded a tar file for testing to
> debian-staging in the middle of the transition.  That this was then used by
> new users is understandable, because the transition took a long time.

Well, anyone who knew what was going on would have avoided the
gnu-latest.tar.gz sym link since it pointed to a pre-transition image
that would have been a mistake to install.  I would be surprised if some
users were not installing the old one up until you removed the link.

> The transition is almost completely done (chance is that it is done, but it
> needs to be verified that no glitch remains).  In case you have not noticed
> it, the libio-based tarfiles are now available from the above gnu-latest
> path as they have been before.

I just recently noticed, yes.  Thanks for updating this and for all your
hard work to produce the new ones.

> All documentation that was valid before the
> transition should now be valid again without changes.  Users of the old
> stdio based systems were advised early enough here on the list that they
> have to update their apt config to point to debian-stdio.

Oops, I missed that notice since I began using the Hurd (once again)
during the transition.  Do you have a URL handy I can post?  I know,
STFA.

> > I will change the documentation I created on the wiki that was needed to
> > supplement Neal's guide during this transition period.
>
> I am not sure if it is a good advice to tell new users to install the Hurd
> during a transition period of the kind we were going through.

If we had the power to tell users not to install, I think your approach
would be advisable.  However, we live in a 24/7 world on the web.  Users
install when THEY have the time regardless of the present status of the
project which they won't know until they get started.  This is a
"chicken or the egg" situation.  Which comes first?

> In anyway,
> Neal's guide was perfectly appropriate before the transition and is/will be
> appropriate after the transition.  We never made a claim about an
> installation being flawlessly possible during the transition period.

I agree, Neal's guide is very good.  However, claim or not, people were
attempting to install during this transition period.  If we ignore that
fact it hurts the users making honest efforts to run the Hurd.

--
-- Grant Bowman                                <grantbow@grantbow.com>