Re: alpha.gnu.org/../debian

On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 10:27:15AM -0700, Grant Bowman wrote:
> I believe it was a mistake > to move the latest usable version from
> ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus/gnu-latest.tar.gz to
> debian-staging or debian-libio since anyone new to the project was
> immediately and unnecessarily confused.

Nothing of this kind was done.  I uploaded a tar file for testing to
debian-staging in the middle of the transition.  That this was then used by
new users is understandable, because the transition took a long time.

The transition is almost completely done (chance is that it is done, but it
needs to be verified that no glitch remains).  In case you have not noticed
it, the libio-based tarfiles are now available from the above gnu-latest
path as they have been before.  All documentation that was valid before the
transition should now be valid again without changes.  Users of the old
stdio based systems were advised early enough here on the list that they
have to update their apt config to point to debian-stdio.

> I will change the documentation I created on the wiki that was needed to
> supplement Neal's guide during this transition period.

I am not sure if it is a good advice to tell new users to install the Hurd
during a transition period of the kind we were going through.  In anyway,
Neal's guide was perfectly appropriate before the transition and is/will be
appropriate after the transition.  We never made a claim about an
installation being flawlessly possible during the transition period.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de