Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

Hello,

sorry that I'm now also writing one more useless mail
but I had to reply to this comment below.

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 05:32:10PM +0200, Tobin Fricke wrote:

> I think your idea that a GNU System shouldn't allow the sysadmin to limit
> the freedoms of the users is pretty ridiculous.  After all, it's the
> sysadmin who owns the machine, pays for the network connection, is
> responsible for network traffic originating at the machine, etc...
> Certainly if a sysadmin WANTED to give users free reign of the machine,
> that's fine... but they're certainly under no obligation to do so.

I really get mad when I hear that the sysadmin owns the machine and pays
for its used resources. Whenever I worked somewhere and I had a sysadmin
it was the sysadmin who got payed by me and wouldnt be there if
we wouldnt work with the computers and need them.
And I lost so much time (which means money) just because the sysadmin
thought I wouldnt need this or that feature or similar.

So please dont think that sysadmins should have any right to forbid
something to the users who actually use the machines.
In my eyes is this one of the biggest grievence which exist nowadays.
E.g. not to have the possibility to set up a crypto filesystem
on your own in Linux..

Thanks fabian