Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 06:09:08PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 11:56:48AM -0400, Nathan Hawkins wrote:
> > People also regularly use "firewalling" features to do things that
> > aren't really security related. I see people using IP filtering in
> > combination with routing, NAT, and even QOS.
>
> Al those features are useful.  Nobody is claiming that the Hurd shouldn't
> have these features, or shouldn't have firewall features.  The Hurd should
> have everything anybody ever wants ;)

By first reading this I agreed with you. After pondering about this
issue I claim that the Hurd should not have IP filtering features.

The fact is that because of the Hurd's design IP filtering is *not
useful*. The only reason I can come up with is a system administrator
trying to limit what the user does. This is directly against the GNU
philosophy of user freedom. The whole GNU system (including the Hurd)
is designed around this user freedom. (I got this logic from the book
"Free as in Freedom")

The Hurd's design is so secure that it makes firewalls immoral IMHO.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org  IRC ID: jeroen@openprojects
GNU supporter - http://www.gnu.org