Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

* Emile van Bergen writes:
> On Wed, 22 May 2002, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>> On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 04:43:44PM +0200, Emile van Bergen wrote:
>> I thank you for your opinion on this, but we really have to move on.

> You keep trying to blow a smoke screen around the architectural issue.
> I don't understand why. Remember that *you* want something from Debian,
> (the addition of /hurd), not the other way around. *You* are the one
> under the obligation to answer *why* you *need* a separate /hurd
> directory.

Frankly, right now it is only you who are blowing this nice huge
smoke screen.  It is Debian that wants _us_ to remove /hurd, this
directory has existed since a long time, probably longer than Debian
has existed..  If people have this really annoying problem with one
stupid root directory, why did you not speak up sooner?

Marcus, Thomas and a bunch of other people have stated why this
directory exists.  Is it so hard to understand?  Translators don't
belong in /bin, /libexec, /lib/whatever, they belong in /hurd.
Unless you have an better place that we can all agree upon.  Right now
you're just bitching and moaning that we have a directory that
GNU/Linux doesn't have in its root, without actually giving a reason
why it should not exist there in the first place.  We, the Hurd
community, has repeatedly stated why we need/want a directory where we
can put translators in.

I can give you another reason why a special directory for translators
should exist, it makes life easier to see what cute translators the
system has without having to wade through the hell that exists in
/bin. I doubt that you would want to look at a listing of totally
unrelated crap when your looking for a specific translator for a
specific job.

Putting it in /libexec is wrong because users actually use
translators, which is opposite of what /libexec is supposed to do.

/lib/whatever is also wrong because translators are not libraries, and
typing "settrans -a ~/ftp /lib/whatever/ftpfs / ftp.gnu.org" is quite
annoying in the long run.

So, now you might ask why the directory is called /hurd instead of
/translators or whatever? Do you know what the Hurd means? Hird of Unix
Replacing Daemons.  I think that this is an appropriate name for what
exists in /hurd, a bunch of "daemons" that replace the functionality
that Unix has, but as user-space programs. Quite appropriate don't you
think?

Now that I am almost done with my rant, could you give us a couple of
reasons why this directory should not exist?  And why are you not as
upset about /servers or /libexec as you seem to be about /hurd?

I really can't understand why people become so upset about one silly
directory.  Why can't you just accept the fact that one such
directory exists?  It isn't harming anyone. :)

And anyone on debian-devel who is going to remove the CC's, please
don't. Some people are not subscribed to that list.

--
Alfred M. Szmidt