Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd (firewalling tools)

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Anthony Towns wrote:

> Exactly. The problem is that if Hurd releases without firewalling tools
> we haven't allowed our users to make this choice.

Right... but the one problem with this argument is that it could be
applied to any feature.  You could say that, unless we release with
feature X, we are depriving our users from using feature X.

Perhaps it would better to release whenever everything that does exist is
relatively stable and working well as a system, as opposed to waiting
until everything exists.

> That's what unstable's for.

Although I think there's a difference between "unstable" and "incomplete,"
I don't think it much matters, as long as releases are made in some form
(official, unstable, snapshot CD's, whatever).  And obviously if Debian is
somehow not meeting the needs of the community, some other HURD
distribution is free to arise.

--tobin