Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

Thus spoke SpyderMan <smpcomputing@free.fr> on 2002-05-21 17:29:52:
> >My experience shows that one can live
> >happily without firewalling support
>
> And you consider your experience representative of many users needs, which
> of course it is if the Hurd is to be used by people linking 2 laptops
> together at home using PLIP.  I, however, had hoped for bigger things.

...or people using a dedicated firewalling/NAT-ing box. Which is (I
think) quite a common thing to do. For example, at one place where I
worked in the past, we had a few 'client' boxen (around 40), sitting on
the local lan, and one dedicated box NATed them out. No firewalling
needed on those 40 boxen.

And yes, I consider this experience representative of many users needs.
Maybe we don't all link laptops with PLIP, but if you also count those
who use a dedicated firewall, the number will increase quite much.