Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

Em Mon, 20 May 2002 15:34:15 -0500 (CDT), Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org>
escreveu:

> I do not care about /hurd, /lib/hurd, /libexec/hurd.  That is just a location.
>
> What I want to know, is why can't existing locations be used for what hurd
> developers want to place in /hurd.

Why do I put my ogg files in ~/media/ogg? Well, because they're multi'media'
and because they're ogg files... they're music, but I think it is better to
have a well-defined location for kinds of musics in my system... this way
if I want to see all my oggs I'll simply ls that directory and there they are.

That's why we put modules in /lib/modules (although they're not libs at all)
and that's why we put libs in /lib... that's why I would rather have my
hurd servers in their own directory... why /hurd? Because it is simple,
because it will have *the hurd* itself inside it...

Why /boot? Because we have boot files in it... but the hurd is not boot files
is not modules, not libs... puting them together with this king of files will
cause confusion, I think, and will hurt the real Hurd concepts...

We're discussing the organization of a "new" system, we may do the right
thing or act as if we should respect "historical reasons".

I'm not a Hurd developer, but I have it installed on my 486 for some time
now and I think it is a very nice system the way it is. The translator
concept is simply awesome.

> I want the *reasons*.  And, long papers are not the answer.  Short, simple,
> point by point explanations for why a *new* directory(whereever it ends up
> being) is needed.

That's my unofficial answer... btw /hurd is being used for a long time, so
I wouldn't call it '*new*'.

[]s!

--
kov@debian.org: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>