Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

On 20 May 2002, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

> It's been answered several times over.  You may not like the answers.
> You mostly want to say "look, if you don't change FHS at all, then
> there would be a place to put it".
>
> Jeroen was trying to say, I think, that if FHS said "put everything in
> one directory", then this could also be made to work.  But it would be
> a bad FHS.
>
> Since none of these lists is the appropriate place to discuss what FHS
> should be, it's totally off topic.
>
> But you have gotten several answers to your question.  The answer is
> not "because there is no place in FHS to put it", and you seem to only
> want an answer of that form.  The fact that the answer is not of that
> form does not, however, mean that you have not been given an answer.

No, I do not want an answer of that form.

I do not care about /hurd, /lib/hurd, /libexec/hurd.  That is just a location.

What I want to know, is why can't existing locations be used for what hurd
developers want to place in /hurd.

I want the *reasons*.  And, long papers are not the answer.  Short, simple,
point by point explanations for why a *new* directory(whereever it ends up
being) is needed.