Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 10:07:41AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sat, 18 May 2002, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> > GNU/Hurd is already part of debian, it deserves as much consideration as
> > any other part, no more, no less.
>
> So far so good. However, it is THE part that wants to move stuff around, so
> expect extra resistence against it.
>
> Maybe small parts of the FHS cause trouble for the Hurd; these could be
> changed for Debian. HOWEVER, Debian GNU/Hurd is *not* to be GNU/Hurd with
> Debian packages.  It is to be a _Debian_ system with the Hurd kernel.  So,
> whatever isn't kernel-specific IS supposed to be the same.  If being
> "Hurdish" is more important to you than being "Debianish", then as far as
> *I* am concerned, you are welcome to fork the project, and go away.

We want that "Hurdish" and "Debianish" mean the same thing, that is
the Right Thing. We are willing to both change our things for Debian
and change Debian itself. But we need cooperation from a group of
people to do that, cooperation we don't get at the moment.

> If you cannot agree to that, and do notice I never said we shouldn't change
> a few things on the way the filesystem is currently laid out in the Debian
> GNU/Linux side of things (FHS or no FHS), then you will be in for a very
> rough ride.

I hope you can understand we already have an existing system and
currenct practice which we often consider better than the things done
on GNU/Linux. Most of the time it's compatible with BSD instead of
GNU/Linux, because that existed when both GNU and the Hurd were
started. We don't really want to change those things because Debian
does it, especially when we don't consider the way Debian does it good
enough. Some things aren't even easy to change. To give you an
example, removing libexec from *BSD makes all binaries incompatible
with the existing BSDs.

Other than that the Hurd isn't a kernel, it isn't unix either. We try
to be compatible however.

> I will love the day I can simply switch kernels on a Debian GNU/* system and
> not notice any changes in userlevel land, other than the tools that need to
> interact directly to the kernel.  I acknowledge that some changes must be
> made to Debian to do so, and that it must become less linux-specific. And I
> am ready to take my share of pain and work for that to become reality.

I wanted that to. But "some changes" is a very big understatement. To
make those changes, the attitude of the cabals need to change. I'm not
going to waste my time hacking some big things which won't go into
Debian anyhow for some unknown reason (i.e. like apt-i18n).

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org  IRC ID: jeroen@openprojects
GNU supporter - http://www.gnu.org