Re: Boot Messages

I've upgraded(?) to ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/inetutils/inetutils-1.3.2g.tar.gz
Things did not improve; logger still does not put log messages into any log
files via syslogd.  After screwing around for a while I found that
"/etc/init.d/syslogd stop" would not stop syslogd either.  I killed syslogd
manually and restarted manually and logger worked for a test message via
"logger -p user.notice hello".  A message was inserted into /var/log/user.log
and /var/log/syslog.  I tried "logger -p kern.info -f /dev/klog &" and nothing
happened.

I must say I'm amazed about the "/etc/init.d/syslogd stop" failure.  If I run
the commands from the script they work.  If I run "sh -x /etc/init.d/syslogd
stop" the commands I expect are displayed yet syslogd runs on as if nothing
happened.  Yes, the /var/run/syslog.pid is correct.  Sourcing the script with
". /etc/init.d/syslogd stop" fails too.

Manually restarting and stopping syslogd seems to only allow one new message to
be added to a log file using logger and yes I am varying the message to avoid
syslogd collapsing messages into "last message repeated xx times."  Removing
the "-" from the log file to insist in syncing the log file with each message
does not change a thing.

So to log /dev/klog to /var/log/syslog I can use

# cat /bin/myklog
cat /dev/klog > /tmp/klog &
sleep 10
kill $!
while read line
do
   sleep 5 # don't restart syslogd too fast
   start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile /var/run/syslog.pid
   start-stop-daemon --start -quiet --exec /sbin/syslogd
   logger -p kern.info -- $line
done < /tmp/klog

and "grep -v syslogd /var/log/syslog" to view without "syslogd restarted"
messages.  I'll look into what is wrong with syslogd