Re: RMS interview on LWN

Moritz Schulte wrote:
Bill Bland <wjb@netpd.com> writes:

and I'm confused about something: RMS says "You can even use GDB to
debug the file system while the system is running--thread-specific
breakpoints allow you to..."

That is right.  All the Hurd server run entirely in User space which
makes it possible to simply attach gdb to them.

So was RMS talking about a different threads library or something
that is planned but not yet implemented?

You are right, pthreads isn't ported yet, people are working on that.
The Hurd currently uses the cthreads library.

		moritz

I patched GNU Pth a.k.a. "Portable Threads" for Hurd a while back.
It has pretty dismal performance but you can fool around with it if you
want. Links to the source and patch are here:

http://webpages.charter.net/bdhilton/hurd.html

Later!