Re: Request help (gdb cross debugger) Where is the latest best hppa1.1-unknown-linux-gnu source code for gdb?

--- "B. Douglas Hilton" <doug.hilton@engineer.com> wrote:
> Objective: build Debian hppa -> hurd cross debugger.
>
> Background: Being adventurous, and perhaps foolish, I
>  bought a HP 9000 715/80 box to use as a general purpose
>  debugging and otherwise silly hobby box.

   Well, osfmach runs on one of these boxes ;)

>  I have the thing
>  running Woody just fine using a dumb terminal and want to
>  use it for a serial debugging machine for OSKit-Mach and
>  Debian Hurd. Serial connection tested and working.
>
> Problem: gdb-5.1.1 doesn't configure, gives the following
>  error message:
>     checking for X... no
>     configure: error: *** Gdb does not support host
> hppa1.1-unknown-linux-gnu
>     Configure in /usr/src/gdb-5.1.1/build/gdb failed, exiting.
>
> Comments: See the quoted message [1] from last September at the
> tail
>  of this message. I am now going to download the year old gdb
> source
>  from   cvs.parisc-linux.org/gdb/  and attempt to build it with the
>
> following
>      ../configure --host=hppa1.1-unknown-linux-gnu
> --target=i386-pc-gnu
>
> Request: any help in this matter.
>
> Addendum: See quoted message [2] from today.
>
> Remark:
>  How in the heck can you make a Debian release if you don't even
> have
>  a debugger :-) Like, uh, whats the deal eh? Are you guys debugging
> with
>  the force again ?? You should not do that until you are full Jedi
> Kung-Foo
>  masters, lest you be taken by the dark side...
>

> Thanks list!
> - Doug
>

> [1]   On 09/07/2001, Matt Taggart wrote to me thusly:
>
> >"B. Douglas Hilton" writes...

> >gdb has not been merged upstream yet making inclusion in the
> Debian package
> >difficult. However, hppa-linux support is in pehc cvs(see the
> parisc-linux.org
> >web page for details).
> >
> >I have also produced a Debian package by installing to pseudoroot,
> tar'ing it
> >up and using alien to convert it. It's not pretty but it works.
> This package
> >is available at,
> >

>ftp://puffin.external.hp.com/pub/parisc/binaries/debian/unofficial-debs/
> >gdb-hppa_5.0-4.pehc.2_hppa.deb

> >I think you'll need to build your own from pehc cvs then.

> >No, as I said above, no upstream version of gdb contains the
> hppa-linux
> >support currently.
> >

> [2]   On 02/11/2002, Roland McGrath spake forth this pronouncement:
>
> >Try gdb 5.1 from ftp.gnu.org, or else try building from the
> sources in the
> >debian gdb package.
> >

> --

=====
James Morrison
   University of Waterloo
   Computer Science - Digital Hardware
   2A co-op
http://hurd.dyndns.org

Anyone refering this as 'Open Source' shall be eaten by a GNU