Request help (gdb cross debugger) Where is the latest best hppa1.1-unknown-linux-gnu source code for gdb?

Objective: build Debian hppa -> hurd cross debugger.

Background: Being adventurous, and perhaps foolish, I
bought a HP 9000 715/80 box to use as a general purpose
debugging and otherwise silly hobby box. I have the thing
running Woody just fine using a dumb terminal and want to
use it for a serial debugging machine for OSKit-Mach and
Debian Hurd. Serial connection tested and working.

Problem: gdb-5.1.1 doesn't configure, gives the following
error message:
   checking for X... no
configure: error: *** Gdb does not support host hppa1.1-unknown-linux-gnu
   Configure in /usr/src/gdb-5.1.1/build/gdb failed, exiting.

Comments: See the quoted message [1] from last September at the tail
of this message. I am now going to download the year old gdb source
from cvs.parisc-linux.org/gdb/ and attempt to build it with the following
    ../configure --host=hppa1.1-unknown-linux-gnu --target=i386-pc-gnu

Request: any help in this matter.

Addendum: See quoted message [2] from today.

Remark:
How in the heck can you make a Debian release if you don't even have
a debugger :-) Like, uh, whats the deal eh? Are you guys debugging with
the force again ?? You should not do that until you are full Jedi Kung-Foo
masters, lest you be taken by the dark side...

Thanks list!
- Doug