Re: Not enough entropy in RNG

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 12:14:29PM -0500, Derek L Davies wrote:
> Has anyone sketched out an API for libchannel?

No, you have first go.  Dust off your drawing board ;)

> put /dev/random in an oskit driver and use libchannel to do
> I/O with it.  And this way the need for user space egd goes away.

Indeed.  Well, you can support it anyway by writing a special channel class
for it (or by just using some generic socket channel or whatever)

> The spirts seem to want me to work on libchannel ;-)  So I'll give it
> a try.  I'll search the archives for libchannel discussions, but if
> people have info that would help that isn't in the archvies please
> forward it to me.

Roland posted a bit about it, but it all boils down that it is to character
streams what libstore is to block data.

The one thing we need in libchannel we haven't equivalently in libstore is
some way for extending the API on a per-channel-class basis.  For example,
for a channel to a sound card raw audio device, you need some way to set the
sample bit rate.  For a mouse device you might want to set/clear dtr.  For a
keyboard you might want to set/clear raw mode.  Etc.  Some of this can be
done in the channel class, opaque to the user, but some things can not.  I
think the idea was to have dynamically loadable plugins that add this
functionality.  But you can probably leave this for later.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de