Re: Not enough entropy in RNG

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
[snip]
> If you want to improve on it, work on the libchannel abstraction library!
> This will be a very important system library, for all character based data
> streams in the Hurd.  Changing random to use libchannel is not very hard,
> and then we have the optimal solution in my opinion.

Yeah, I haven't wanted to say anything yet, but I've been thinking
about just going for the real win and working on libchannel.  I have
the canonical lack of time problem though.  But, I want to get sound
going too, so this would be the thing to do to accomplish both.

Has anyone sketched out an API for libchannel?  If not, I will try to
do something (I'm sure it will draw some big laughs, but at least
we'll have something to talk about ;-)

> The other thing that needs to be done is to add a random device to
> the oskit-mach branch of gnumach (we don't bother with the current
> incarnation of gnumach).  This probably means adding a random device to
> oskit.  This can then be used by random through the libchannel device class.

What confluence: I hear tell that oskit has infrastructure for the
existing linux sound drivers.  But one would want libchannel to do I/O
from user space with them.  Same for the user space translator that
you wrote: put /dev/random in an oskit driver and use libchannel to do
I/O with it.  And this way the need for user space egd goes away.

The spirts seem to want me to work on libchannel ;-)  So I'll give it
a try.  I'll search the archives for libchannel discussions, but if
people have info that would help that isn't in the archvies please
forward it to me.

Thanks,
Derek

PS: Yes, I am still trying to make time to go to Temple Pl to finish
setting up stampede.  I will get it done at some point, hopefully
soon.  I'll be in touch with Jeff Bailey, et al when I can confirm a
time.