Re: inode properties (Was: Re: httpfs what is it?)

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 08:48:59PM +0100, Niels M?ller said:
> tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:
>
> > On the one hand, "Yeah!  Totally!"
> >
> > On the other hand, "Resource forks suck".
>
> Properties should be used only for such things where it makes sense
> that plain cp loses the attributes, and cp -p doesn't.

If the Hurd ever supports Be's BFS, I think that translator will
have to deal with this issue anyway.  From what I've read, BFS has
arbitrary key->value pairs for each inode (like you are suggesting
here), which in essense, turns the filesystem into a database.  On
that platform though, the attributes are optional (if you are
storing to ext2, for instance, it just doesn't store the attributes).
I've also heard designs where a filesystem uses a SQL database as
its' store, instead of a disk-based partition.  Obviously, the
translator concept is powerful enough to support both of these;
the problem is designing an interface (for the attributes).

Kevin
--
Kevin Kreamer
FsckIt on openprojects.net